Friday, May 11, 2012

DIY Cupcake Towers! (Dollar Tree Finds)

I recently finished a DIY project that I am so proud of! These adorable CUPCAKE TOWERS! :D

I originally wanted to buy some but realized that cupcake towers weren't very cheap...but you know what is?
The Dollar Tree!
Yup! That's right! Each one of these towers only cost ~$5 (+ cost of paint brushes if needed, paint and some heavy duty craft glue)
I created these 2 towers for a friend's baby shower and when we are done using them, I will repaint them so I can use them for my son's first birthday party (still a while away) and any other occasion where these little cuties can be used!
 
First, what you will need to make ONE tower:
-*3 silver plates (The Dollar Tree)--they have all different shapes--Round, square, and oval plates. I used 3 round plates.
-*2 candle sticks (Also, The Dollar Tree)
-*paint. (Spray paint is the best so you don't see any brush strokes but in my case, I used 1 can of spray paint for 6 plates and ran out before I could finish the last 2 plates so I ended up painting over them! lol I ended up using acrylic paint from Michaels. One in "vanilla" for the plates and one in "light pink" for the candle sticks--2 fl. oz. each)
-*heavy duty craft glue. (I used E-6000)
-*a medium sized paint brush
-*pencil
-*ruler or tape measure
...don't forget to lay down some newspaper while you paint (outside!!!)
 
Once you have all your items, make sure they are all cleaned and get started on painting!
I started painting the plates first. (Remember, I have double the plates and candlesticks because I was making TWO towers.)

Then, get started on painting the candlesticks. You don't need to worry too much about painting the "inside" parts of the candlesticks because this part won't be seen when they are attached to the plates. 
Once, all the plates are painted (front & back) as well as the candlesticks and they are all dried, here comes the fun part!
Measuring & gluing!!
This is actually the trickiest part because you want to get everything centered as much as possible.
Here's what I did to make it a little easier.
First, take 1 plate and 1 candlestick.
Place the WIDEST (base) part of the candlestick on the BOTTOM of a plate (this is so that you get more "serving space" on the plate when using the smallest part of candlestick on the top of other plates...you will see what I mean :)
Then, I took my tape measure and measure the candlestick to the center of the plate.
For the plates I was using, it was 2" around (from the candlestick to the edge of the inside part of the plate).
Once I got the candlestick to the center with 2" measured all around, I took my pencil and traced the candlestick to the plate.
Then, take your craft glue and put it around the candlestick where you will attach it to your plate.
Proceed to place the candlestick on the plate where you traced.
Press firmly and let dry.
(If there's any oozing, take a warm damp cloth to wipe off)
 
You can do this same step with your other plate as well.
*Remember, the WIDEST part of the candlestick on the BOTTOM of the plate...so you end up with 2 plates, each with a candlestick on the bottom of each.
Your third plate will serve as the base of the tower (so leave it set aside for now).
 
Once the candlesticks are dry and stuck to the plates, stack one of the plates (the top of the plate) to the narrowest side of a candlestick.
Use the same steps to measure it to the center as we did for the widest/base part of the candlestick to the bottom of the plates. (So, you will have a plate on the bottom, then candlestick, then plate, then  candlestick)
 
I didn't take a picture of this part so I tried to edit this photo to sort of show you... Sorry it's really bad! lol
Then, it's time to place the last plate!
Place the TOP of the third plate to the narrowest part of the last candlestick, measure to center, trace, glue, press firmly, let dry, and turn it all right side up!
 
Viola! You are done!!!
Now, these cupcake towers aren't for food DIRECTLY on the plates! If you plan on putting food on them, remember to use cupcake liners, napkins, or doilies, etc.!
 
You can also use these towers for jewlery, bath necessities, etc. Look at some of these other great ideas for cupcake towers! :) 
credit
credit
credit
 
Have any questions? Ask away! Let the DIY fun begin!
 
{Have a BEAUTIFUL day!}

young and restless

20 comments:

  1. I love this, it's so fun yet totally stylish. I bet it would look great covered in tasty cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great, thrifty idea! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so brilliant! Even I, the least crafty girl ever!, could likely do this. :) NICE!

    xoxo
    jackie
    perchedup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I"ve been planning to make some of these for my little boy's party. They are so fun & easy, your's turned out great! Thanks for sharing :)
    -Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks :) These are pretty easy to make and you can have so much fun with the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great! Thanks for sharing this with us @ the Sunday Round Up.
    Hope you have a wonderful week,
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I should say this is pretty clever. I love the idea and the look. Plus I could customize the color I want. I couldn't afford cup cake tower myself. This is great for church potlocks :)
    I have link party

    going on. Would love for you to share this :)

    xoxo
    Myric

    ReplyDelete
  8. Truly lovely, they look so delicate. New follower, visiting from overflowing with creativity. Looking forward to reading more crafty posts in the future. You would make my day if you stopped by my blog
    evescrochet.blogspot.com
    Thank you and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial! These are so cute, I love the versatility. If you're looking for another place to share your creative projects, check out Etcetorize (http://etcetorize.blogspot.com). Party starts later tonight, hope to see you there~

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so pretty! I could definitley use these towers :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. how pretty! Love how yours look. So shabby chic :)
    Thanks for sharing at our Sunday Round Up! Can't wait to see what you have for us next weekend. Have a GREAT week!
    xoxo
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wouldn't have ever guessed those were from the dollar store! We just found your blog and we are your newest follower! We would love for you to check out our blog!
    http://mybest-friendsblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. PS I just graduated from nursing school last year! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your cupcake towers, so frugal and sooo cute. Thanks for sharing. ;o) Smiles, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  15. Clever girl, and why to save some $$. Hi, I'm Connie at http://hotflashncraftn.blogspot.com/, you new GFC friend. I would love if you stop by and be mine, too.
    I have a cake stand project awaiting me, but I have one plate, never even thought of top and bottom. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Honestly the best DIY I've seen lately!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. SO pretty!! Thanks for the great directions! I'm def going to stock up on these at dollar tree :) want to make one for jewlery and one for cake!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are great! I love your blog design and all the pretty little treasures you create for your shop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah, very cute! I love the dollar store!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ohhh I love it! Recently my favorite DIY are those with paints :) paint, paint, paint and this is another great idea! Looks super pretty! Thanks for sharing! x

    Agi

    ReplyDelete

It makes me really happy to read your comments. Leave some LOVE and have a sweet day! :)